Thursday 2 June 2011

from 2 to 8 - Part II

So with the support, help and encouragement of HotLips (Beck W) - I decided to give her idea of starting a league in my area a go. I wasn't sure I could acheive it, but that never usually stops me.

A few days later she sent through an email that SRDL had received from a group of friends in my area who were enquiring if there was a league out their way.. so needless to say I got in contact with the author of this email and we started talking about getting Penriths league started up!

A few flyers later and a meeting at a pub and the league was on its way to existance! Beck sent through some paperwork for us to work off and my research into how to register us as a league began.. But all that boring paperwork stuff aint worth mentioning... well that and I'd rather not re live the stress lol..

There are so many things that you feel are important, that looking back - really werent worth the ammount of stress we put ourselves through.. The ammount of meetings I attended to discuss colours and logos and league/team names.. hours upon hours upon hours of my life I will never get back! But at the time, as stressful and time consuming as it was - felt well worth it. But it was the paperwork and all those meetings that cemented the birth of the Western Sydney Rollers. We held our first official meeting and I was voted in as President and also one of 3 coaches.

Our training began out at a bunch of netball courts, still in my starfires - but now with knee pads, wrist guards and elbow pads.. These days on the netball courts make for some really wonderful memories.. a handful of girls, all trying to learn to skate together, no one having any clue what they are doing and all just getting on and having a blast while doing it! I still treasure those days even if the friendships that were developed there no longer exist.

My first pair of real skates.... wow... I don't think I did that much research in all my highschool years combined! But I purchased a pair of Sure Grip Rebels with XK-4 plates and I still remember the day they arrived.. I took them into the kitchen, put them on, stood up and went butt over boobies! I was so excited to get them to the skate rink for a roll - but so scared at the same time! The difference skating in them to the starfires was amazing... but I knew from that first lap around the rink the following saturday night I was determined to make skating more natural to me than walking, I would go from having 2 feet to 8 wheels and never return...

No comments:

Post a Comment